The Time Machine
Standard Lunar Build up

By Martin S. Bleasby
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
E-mail Martin Bleasby

Section 4

Control Console & End Caps

I proceeded with the test fitting of the end caps, I found there was a little excess resin preventing the caps from fitting flush, I removed this in the usual way with a small needle file. After the general cleaning up of the console and it's end caps I gave these items light sanding with a fine grade paper. I then primed the surface of all three items. A final coat of Humbrol gloss black in spray was given to the control console, I masked off the main date panel and the support for the three lamps. The end caps I sprayed with Gloss white, I found several coats were required due to the grey primer showing through, this was also true of the generator end caps. I painted the date panel and lamp support with gold enamel, I used masking tape to give me a straight edge around the lamp support,after which I painted the date panel free hand with a fine brush. I painted inside the date displays with Acrylic colours, green for the MONTH, red for the YEAR and yellow for the DATE. I used light colours for this, in order for the decals to show up. I applied the decals to the end caps after cutting each one out as close to the edge of the design as possible, I found a small pair of scissors and the craft knife worked well here. To help the decals conform to the domed surface of the caps, I used a substance called decal fix. This helps soften and fix the decal, another great tip from Ed Turner. The edges of the caps required painting with black gloss enamel along with any blemishes in the decals.

Fig 20 shows the control console and the end caps. Console Lamps I cleaned up the console lamps with a small file, removing any excess resin and finally sanding with a fine grade paper. I made sure the lamps fitted into the support before painting with gloss enamel I used the colours on the instruction sheet, green, red and yellow viewed from the date panel.
Fig. 20

Wire Cages.

This was a delicate process, the kit comes with Brass coloured wire I stretched this to remove any wrinkles and cut it into short pieces about 100mm long. I did not opt for the eight-wire system as shown in the instruction and on the original machine, but instead I choose to use four wires around the lamps. For the base of the wire cage I used a 5mm drill to loop the wire around, after which I used wire cutters to snip the circular section away.


Fig. 21
I then used a small pair of pliers to adjust the rings to fit over the lamps, fixing all three in position with a small drop of superglue. At this point I cut to size the four wires which connect from the base to the centre of the lamp at the top, fixing into position with super glue. Fig 21

Decals

There are six decals to be fixed to the control console, not including the end caps. The pipeline on the centre of the lamp support, the date panel information and the main pattern on the front of the console. I fixed the pipeline, the month/day/ H.G Wells logo, and date decals using a small amount of decal fix. The main gold pattern was a different matter, this decal I had to rework.


Fig. 21a
The gold decals in the kit did not show up to well on a dark surface, so I used a system called SuperCal decals. The image was reworked from a scan of the main console decal, I then gave this a black background and printed it onto the WHITE SuperCal decal paper. The printing process can be done on any ink jet printer and just requires sealing with a fixing spray. After this is cured the decal can be cut out and used as a standard water slide decal a small amount of gloss black enamel was required to touch in any blemishes around the edge of the decal. Fig 21& 21a.

 

To Send Us E-mail
Click Here

If you entered this page from other than our main page
and you are not in a frame set (no page directory on the left)

Click Here


The Time Machine Project 1998 Don Coleman
Web Site 1999 Don Coleman
Web site created by Don Coleman
3727 W. Magnolia Blvd. #240
Burbank, CA 91505