The Time Machine
Standard Lunar Build up

By Martin S. Bleasby
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
E-mail Martin Bleasby

I would like to thank Mr Edward Turner and Mr Chris Perrotta for their expert help and guidance during the construction of the model.

Section 1

The Chair

I began with the construction of the chair, which is the first item on lunar's instruction sheet. Fig 1 shows the raw chair parts right from the box, you can see the excellent drawings of Chris Perrotta in the background. A certain amount of time was required to clean up and test fit all the parts any imperfections were filled with model putty, I used a various grades of sandpaper to achieve the desired effect. Some of the mouldings in fact were better then others, a point in question is just under the arm rest section, See Fig 2. The carvings here required careful attention so as not to break the castings, I found a round needle file and a sharp craft knife worked wonders. Another area which needed attention was the columns on the legs, these seem to be off centre I think this is where the casting in the mould was joined. Again a needle file rectified this problem. When all the parts fitted satisfactory, I used a epoxy resin with a 90 second set time to fix all the chair parts together. See Fig 3.


Fig. 1


Fig.2

Arm Rests

The entire armrests parts were cleaned up in the same way described above, the ornate parts underneath the rests and to the left and right of the chairs front where treated in the same way.

Head Rest

This Item is a single moulded part, and after it was cleaned up I fitted the brass rod supplied in the kit. I simply cut this in half and drilled the headrest in the pilot holes in the moulding, making sure there was enough rod to fit into the back section of the chair. I made sure the headrest fitted correctly at this stage, and thus would be easy to fit after the items were painted.

Priming, Main Chair body, Headrest /Armrests and ornate sections

At this stage I primed the surface of the parts, after gently using a fine grade sandpaper to key the surface. The primer I used was from the Krylon brand, grey in colour. After the primer dried , I gently sanded the parts again just to remove any surface dirt which may have settled during the drying process. On the main chair section the arm and headrests I used Krylons Walnut Gloss in spray form again, this is a nice deep rich brown which I hoped would closely match the original chair colour see Fig 4. With reference to the ornate pieces, Fig 5, I sprayed these with Krylon's 18 ct Gold a very nice bright gold.


Fig. 3

Fig. 4

Fig. 5

Velvet Cushions

I painted all the cushions with a Acrylic paint Liquitex Naphthol Crimson, there is a slight sheen to this paint but I was not too worried with this. I think on my next model I will use a different effect, the Crimson is possibly too bright.

Gold Tacks

Before I fitted the armrests and headrest to the main chair I painted all the gold tacks , a very small brush was required for this job. I used a Acrylic gold here.

Chair Assembly

After all the painting was complete I began the assembly, I fitted the gold ornate supports to the underside of the armrests, and the armrests to the main chair using the 90 second epoxy resin. The other gold ornate pieces were added along with the headrest. This completed the construction of the chair. Fig 6,7 & 8


Fig. 6


Fig. 7

Fig. 8

Light Cage and Support

The light cage drawing on lunars instruction is not the best drawing I have seen, so I took the dimensions and re-drew this. I then used tinned copper wire to make the cage, this was quite a Delicate process bending and soldering the small wires together, a set of helping hands the with the small croc clips were a must. Fig 18. The cage support was cleaned up primed and painted with a red gloss enamel and attached to the vertical drive arm. I sprayed the cage with the 18ct gold paint. I left a couple of wires on the cage free, and bent them out so I could drop in the painted bulb. I fixed the bulb using the epoxy resin a cocktail stick help here to added the resin and position the bulb, I added a small amount of epoxy to the cage just to fix it.

Power Supply Coils

My good friend Ed Turner came to the rescue again here, Ed sent over three reels of coloured wire Yellow, Green and Red. I coiled the wire around a section of 1.5mm metal rod, I found this was the best size . Lunar suggest the builder uses a ball point pen insert but I found the coils too wide for this application. I attached the coils using a copper coloured wire for the centre, my friend Mr Chris Perrotta pointed out that the wire which runs form the cone ends should be copper , and in fact the centre coil may even be black. I think he has used a black on his excellent 3D drawings, Thanks Chris. Fig 19 shows the above items with the generator housing fixed to the base and vertical rails.


Fig. 18

Fig. 19


 

To Send Us E-mail
Click Here

If you entered this page from other than our main page
and you are not in a frame set (no page directory on the left)

Click Here


The Time Machine Project 1998 Don Coleman
Web Site 1999 Don Coleman
Web site created by Don Coleman
3727 W. Magnolia Blvd. #240
Burbank, CA 91505